Grey is my very favorite color. In fact, as I sit here writing this on a drizzly grey day in San Francisco, I am sitting next to my grey cat who is sleeping on not one, but TWO grey blankets (including the one I bought yesterday that I promised myself would be a cat-free blanket). I always have enough grey laundry to do an entirely separate load. “Touch of Grey” by Grateful Dead is one of my favorite songs, and if I didn’t live in a rental, my walls would undoubtedly be grey. The point is... grey is here to stay as far as I’m concerned.
I read an article the other day titled “What Your Favorite Color Says About You” and I have to say… I was quite disappointed that my selection branded me as “lackadaisical, bland, and uninspired.”
Although I love color (my bedroom growing up was hot pink…for better or worse), I am not ashamed to tell you that I love grey the most. And here’s why:
- it’s timeless. classic yet super modern.
- grey is a neutral; it goes with anything.
- though it’s not black or white, it can literally be any shade in between the two.
- it’s apparently the “color of intellect, knowledge and wisdom” HA. So take that! article from yesterday. And… go me.
- the human eye can distinguish 500 shades of grey! that’s wayyyy more than 50 btw.
- grey pairs well with lots of different colors, so it is a wonderfully easy and relatively fool-proof shade to work with in an interior setting.
- "Grey" is the English spelling of this color while "Gray" is more often used in America. I will never fall into the camp of spelling grey as "gray." Perhaps grey-lovers are a bit stubborn too.
Need some grey-spiration?
Pair it with blush tones, copper, and charcoal accents:
Try a patterned wallpaper or go all-out with a charcoal accent wall:
Sound off in the comments below! Do you like grey or does it make you feel blue?